25 June 2008

John Carney lecturing in Glasgow (Catch Up Continued)

Regular readers (hi there!) will probably remember that I mentioned a short time ago that John Carney was going to be presenting his lecture in Glasgow. Well the day is now a memory, but what a memory it is. After finishing work, I arrived at Tam Shepherd's to see about picking up any magazines that I had waiting for me. It was a nice surprise to see Mr Carney standing there with a couple of the local magicians. Before I knew what was happening, I was being included in the numbers for dinner! I'm not going to complain about that!

After dinner at Sloan's - Glasgow's oldest pub - we all made our way to the venue for lecture, the Scottish Mask and Puppet Centre. A great wee venue with a cracking little, intimate theatre where the lecture was to be presented. And what a lecture it was!

Simply put, I feel that Mr Carney's lecture is one of the most important magic lectures being presented today. Sure, I am biased as I am a big fan of Mr Carney's work, but this lecture is about more than just tricks. This was about the "why" behind a trick, not just the "how". It was about the inner workings that can make all our magic more amazing to our audiences. He also talked, albeit briefly, about the 3 modes of practice. I won't discuss them here, but if he is ever in your neck of the woods, make a point of going to see him and ask him about the 3 modes of practice and the 12 lemons.

Speak soon.

The Cardman :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment