11 June 2007

Velvet Revolver, SECC, 10 June 2007

This all starts last Wednesday when I got an e-mail from the SECC tickets e-mail list saying that the promoters were giving away a limited number of free tickets to the Velvet Revolver concert at the SECC. All I needed to do was e-mail them with my name, e-mail and phone number and I’d be entered into the draw. A couple of days later, I got another e-mail saying that I had won 2 tickets to go and see Velvet Revolver! Nervously, I went to the SECC box office on Saturday morning to see about picking up my tickets – I wasn’t sure if it was for real or not! I showed the e-mails, the girl asked my name and she handed me an envelope with 2 tickets in it!!!

So, last night, Peter and I went to see Velvet Revolver. We were right at the very back of the sloped seating, but who cares – we were at a gig that, to be honest, we didn’t know anything about until a few days before hand. They opened with a track from the upcoming new album Libertad, which comes out at the start of July, then followed it up with some stuff from their first album, Contraband. The new stuff sounds excellent and I’m looking forward to the new album but my personal highlights were a couple of the covers that they did – Talking Head’s “Psycho Killer”, Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” (which started off with Slash doing a phenomenal guitar solo) and Guns ‘N’ Roses “It’s So Easy” – if you can call that a cover considering 60% of the Velvet Revolver were in GNR!

Excellent gig and I look forward to seeing them in concert again next time they’re in Scotland. For those of you who are interested, here’s the setlist…

Let It Roll
Do It For The Kids
Sucker Train Blues
Superhuman
The Last Fight
She Mine
Big Machine
Get Out The Door
Fall To Pieces
Vasoline
Just Sixteen
She Builds Quick Machines
Set Me Free
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover)
It's So Easy (Guns ‘N’ Roses cover)
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads cover)
Slither

Speak soon.

The Cardman :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment