26 August 2007

Foo Fighters at T On The Fringe, 21 August 2007

I'm a bit of a Foo Fighters fan - not as much as I am a fan of REM, but I count myself as someone who will try to get to see them in concert if they're in Central Scotland. Well, last Tuesday saw Foo Fighters performing at Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh as part of T On The Fringe - the major gig off-shoot of the Edinburgh Fringe. I travelled through to Edinburgh with my sister Mhairi, who was attending her first Foo Fighters gig, and my friends Kate and Ray. Kate had a ticket for the gig while Ray was going to go walkabout around Edinburgh catching some of the stuff at the Fringe.

Mhairi and I

Kate and I

Our first port of call was the High Street where everyday sees a large number of Street Performers and Buskers performing shows for anybody and everybody. I managed to get really lucky and see Gazzo - one of the best Street Magicians in the world - performing his show from start to finish. The great thing for me was watching Kate and Ray's reactions at the end of Gazzo's Cups and Balls routine. Great stuff and if he's ever in a town near you, try and catch his show.

Mhairi and Kate

We went to the gig in plenty time to see the opening act - Silversun Pickups. I had seen them previously on Later with Jools Holland and liked them there. Well, I liked them here, too and hope to try and find the time to go buy their album in the next day or 3. Next up was Nine Inch Nails - not my cup of tea, to be honest.

Silversun Pickups
One little annoyance about the day was the rain. It wasn't heavy, but it was there. Ach well - one of those wee things.
Kate and Mhairi keeping dry

Mhairi models her Edinburgh Fringe poncho

No, I'm not train spotting!

Kate doing her best to keep dry

As for Foo Fighters themselves, what a gig! Dave Grohl walked onstage alone and played a solo version of Everlong that ended with the whole band on stage for the finish and went into a rocking version of Monkey Wrench - my personal all-time favourite FF song. Suffice to say, my throat was somewhat sore after the first 2 songs! The new single - The Pretender - sounds amazing (can't wait for the album - out on 10 September) and they even repeated their cover of The Arcade Fire's "Keep The Car Running" that they had performed for Radio 1 the previous week.

Dave Grohl opens the show with a solo version of Everlong

For those that are interested, here's the setlist:-

Everlong
Monkey Wrench
Breakout
My Hero
Times Like These
Up In Arms
Learn To Fly
The One
Stacked Actors
DOA
Generator
This Is A Call
Best Of You

Encore
The Pretender
Keep The Car Running (The Arcade Fire cover)
All My Life

A great gig and I look forward to seeing them again.

Speak soon

The Cardman :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment