03 December 2007

Crowded House, SECC, 30 November 2007

I've been a Crowded House fan since I first heard the Woodface album back in 1991 but, for one lame reason or another, I never got or took the chance to see them live. When Neil Finn decided that it was time for the band to split up, I thought "well, there goes my chance to see them." Luckily for millions of Crowded House fans around the world, Finn put the band back together earlier this year with Matt Sherrod (aka Max Shreddor) taking the late and dearly missed Paul Hester's place at the drum kit. Even luckier for me was that they brougt out a stunning album called "Time On Earth" and embarked on a World Tour. Of course I had to get tickets and the Glasgow concert was scheduled for St Andrew's Night.

The night started with a chance meeting with Matt Sherrod outside the SECC's Box Office. I had heard that he was very friendly and very approachable and, I am very happy to report, what I had heard was true. I wished him a good show and he turned with a huge grin on his face, shook my hand and we spoke for a moment. It was only a moment out of his life, but it meant a lot to me and I appreciate that. Matt, thank you.

Support for the concert was provided by Duke Special, a band that I had never heard before but I have heard a friend of mine, Davad Steel, talking about them on his Blog. When they arrived on stage, the arena was no more than 25% full, but they filled the arena with their presence and their music. I think I may be hunting some of their material down in due course.

Then, after a wee wait, it was the turn of Crowded House to do their first concert in Scotland in some 12 or 13 years. And what a concert it was! The wait was worth it and they did not disappoint. Opening with "Private Universe" through a set that included songs old and new - even a semi-obscure album track from "Temple Of Low Men" - the band were amazing. I had always heard stories of the crazy things that can happen at Crowded House gigs and this one was no different. At one point during "Weather With You", Neil decided he wanted to get up close and personal with the crowd so he left the stage and made his way to the tierd seating and ran along the entire front row of the tierd seating high-fiving as many people as he could. I couldn't help but think whether they do that at every concert, but also that it was brilliant to watch. Another brilliant part was the introduction of mobile phones in place of the lit Bic lighters for "Better Be Home Soon" at the end of the gig. What an amazing sight!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried for the first half of the set. Hell, I'd waited so long to see these guys live that it was like a massive release for me. I want to see them do it all again! I want to see them again YESTERDAY!!! Thank goodness that one of the biggest cheers of the night was for their comment that they'll probably be back next year. I can't wait!

Set List
Private Universe
World Where You Live
Don't Stop Now
It's Only Natural
Four Seasons In One Day
Heaven That I'm Making
Silent House
Whispers And Moans
A Sigh
Pineapple Head
Don't Dream It's Over
People Are Like Suns
Walked Her Way Down
Mean To Me
Distant Sun

Encore 1
Something So Strong
Glasgow Jam (Improvised)
In The Lowlands
Weather With You

Encore 2
Locked Out
Fall At Your Feet
Better Be Home Soon

Roll on next time!!!

Speak soon

The Cardman :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment